Desert is a barren area. Where there is very little rainfall and as a result, living conditions are hostile towards plants and animals.

The lack of vegetation and tree plants exposes the processes of preparing the unsafe surface of the ground.

Almost one-third of the world is dry or semi-dry.


desert image

Deserts of the World List

1. Sahara

Approximate Area- 84,00,000 Sq. Km

Sahara desert is Largest Desert in World

Territories – Algeria, Chand, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Sudan, Tunisia, Egypt, Morocco; Embraces the Libya Desert and the Nubian Desert.

Sahara is the world's largest hot desert and the third largest desert after Antarctica and Arctic. About 2.5 million people live in the Sahara, most of them live in Morocco, Mauritania, and Algeria.

2. Australian Desert


Approximate Area- 1,550,000 Sq. Km.

Territories- Australia; embraces the great Sandy or Warburton, Great Victoria, Simpson or Arunta, Gibson and Sturt Desert.

18% of Australian mainland, however, about 35% of the Australian continent rains so low that it is effectively desert

3. Arabian Desert


Approximate Area- 1,300,000 Sq. Km

Territories- Southern Arabia, Saudi Arabia, Yemen

The strips of trees in the Arabian Desert grow by the oasis's water in the desert. That is why you see strips of trees because they use the water from the oasis so they grow beside each other so that they can all get the water.

4. Gobi Desert


Approximate Area- 1,040,000 Sq. Km

Territories- Mangolia and China (Inner Mangolia)

Gobi is a rain shadow desert, formed by the Tibetan Plateau. Which blocks the reach of the Indian Ocean from the Gobi area.

5. Kalahari Desert


Approximate Area- 520,000 Sq. Km

Territories- Botswana

Kalahari Desert is home to many migratory birds and animals. Due to its low aridity, the Kalahari supports a Various type of flora.

6. Takla Makan Desert


Approximate Area- 320,000 Sq. Km

Territories- Sinkiang, China

7. Sonoran Desert - It is the hottest desert in Mexico.

Approximate Area- 310,000 Sq. Km.

Territories- Arizona and California, USA and Mexico.

8. The Namib Desert  


The name Namib is of Nama origin and means "vast place".

Approximate Area- 310,000 Sq. Km

Territories- Southwest Africa(Namibia)

9. Karakum Desert


Approximate Area- 270,000 Sq. Km

Territories- Turkmenistan, CIS

Its name means black sand in the Turkish language

10. The Thar Desert [Indian Largest Desert]


The Thar Desert is also called great Indian Desert

Approximate Area- 260,000 Sq. Km

Territories- North-western India and Pakistan

It is the 18th largest desert in the world and is the 9th largest sub-tropical desert in the world.

85% of Thar Desert is located in India, with the remaining 15% in Pakistan.
The Thar Desert is about 10% of the total geographical area of India. More than 60% desert is situated in the state of Rajasthan and is spread across Gujarat, Punjab, and Haryana.

Note

The aridity of a hot desert is mainly due to the effect of Off-shore trade winds, That's why they are called Trade Wind Desert.

Sahara is the biggest desert and the next biggest desert is great Australian desert.

Between 20 degrees to 30 degrees, north and South, the trade winds blowing from the Eastern side of continents so Western coast remains dry(trade winds are Offshore).

Hot Deserts - Sahara, Australian, Arabian desert, Iranian desert, Thar Desert, Kalahari, Namib, Nubian, Mohave, Atacama, etc



Cold Deserts- Patagonia, Turkestan, Gobi desert, etc are Cold Deserts.


Read more Indian General Knowledge